Serial burglar is accused (again) of breaking into Chicago bars and restaurants

Serial burglar is accused (again) of breaking into Chicago bars and restaurants
Traivon Dorsey and the approximate locations of six burglaries he is accused of. (Chicago Police Department, Multiplottr)

CHICAGO — Barely a week goes by without Chicago police issuing a new warning about burglars breaking into the city’s businesses, especially restaurants and bars. More restaurants have been burglarized so far this year than in any year since at least 2001, which is as far back as CPD’s public data indicates.

But there is also good news to report. Detectives have arrested and charged a man since July for committing six burglaries at restaurants and bars, but he is suspected of committing many more.

His name is Traivon Dorsey. The 29-year-old is currently on parole for burglarizing restaurants and bars, allegedly taking more than $100,000 worth of liquor from the businesses.

Now the state plans to revoke his parole after prosecutors charged him with half a dozen more burglaries:

  • July 11, West Town Bakery, 1916 West Chicago
  • July 11, Roots Pizza, 1924 West Chicago
  • November 1, The Farm, 15 Western Illinois
  • November 1, Mott Street, 1401 North Ashland
  • Nov. 14, The Daily, 4560 North Lincoln
  • November 25 Tao, 832 North Dearborn

The police have recorded a number of these burglaries in one community alert issued on November 10. Detectives said a solo burglary involved using a pry tool to break into businesses so he could take safes, cash registers and expensive bottles of alcohol.

The alert linked the burglar to 15 burglaries from Lincoln Park to the South Loop and Ukrainian Village.

If Dorsey is sent back to prison for parole violation, he will be released soon. His full sentence expires next month. Judge William Fahy ordered him to wear an ankle monitor when he gets out of jail.

See also  Seven years after he allegedly shot two Chicago police officers, the man is facing charges

His previous burglary troubles at restaurants and bars began when prosecutors said he stole $24,000 of that liquor during just two burglaries at River North nightclubs in December 2021. One day, he walked through the employee entrance of Clutch, 316 West Erie, and outside with 18 bottles of liquor in trash bags, officials said.

That Christmas, Dorsey allegedly climbed a back staircase and used a rock to break the second-floor window of Moe’s Cantina, 155 West Kinzie. Prosecutors say he took $6,000 worth of liquor with him.

Detectives later linked him to six more burglaries at restaurants in River North and Old Town, with one of those businesses allegedly losing $51,700 worth of liquor.

He pleaded guilty to three counts, and prosecutors dropped the charges in exchange for a four-year prison sentence. State records show he arrived at the prison on December 5 last year and left on January 9.

Prosecutors said his previous felony convictions include a theft in 2016 and three home burglaries in 2012 and 2013. He was convicted as a juvenile of theft in 2011, burglary in 2010 and aggravated battery in 2008.

You can contact CWBChicago and submit anonymous tips via email: news@cwbchicago.com

Source link